Survey assessment of the impact of COVID-19 on testing for HIV, viral hepatitis and sexually transmitted infections in the WHO European Region
The COVID-19 pandemic, caused by the SARS-CoV-2 virus, has had profound effects across health systems worldwide, and many HIV, viral hepatitis and/or sexually transmitted infection (STI) service providers in Europe have experienced interruptions in their ability to provide prevention, testing and treatment of these infections.
As diagnosis and linkage to care of persons living with HIV, HBV, HCV and STI was already one of the critical challenges in the European Region before the COVID-19 pandemic, it is vital to understand how this global crisis has affected testing services, in particular, and how to mitigate its effects on the responses to the epidemics going forward.
In order to assess the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic in testing efforts for these infections in the WHO European Region, a consortium of partners, led by EuroTEST, including regional European and international organisations representing community, health care and public health institutions have come together and developed this assessment.
The main objective of the survey is to document the impact of COVID in testing for HIV, HBV, HCV, chlamydia, syphilis and gonorrhoea, among the different actors of the testing response: laboratories, clinicians or clinical services, primary health care units and community organizations providing testing for one or more of these infections.
As specific objectives, it aims to:
- Document the impact of COVID on prevention and linkage to care for these infections, to a less detailed extent.
- Collect information on causes associated with this impact;
- Collect information on measures put in place to mitigate it and areas where guidance or support are needed.
Results will be used to inform advocacy efforts as well as next steps in the regional response to HIV, viral hepatitis and STI. Results from this assessment will be developed into a publication planned for 2020 – early 2021 and also available on this webpage.
The survey is available in English and Russian, contains 26 questions (depending on type of service) and will take around 20 minutes to complete. The deadline has been extended to 13 November 2020.
If you or your organization provide testing for one or several of these infections, we encourage you to take the survey by clicking here or copy pasting the following link into your browser: https://is.gd/EuroTESTCOVID19impact
If you have any questions, please contact the EuroTEST secretariat at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Radid communication. Impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on testing services for HIV, viral hepatitis and sexually transmitted infections in the WHO European Region, March to August 2020. Simões, Daniel and Stengaard, Annemarie Rinder and Combs, Lauren and Raben, Dorthe and The EuroTEST COVID-19 impact assessment consortium of partners, Eurosurveillance, Volume 25, Issue 47, 26 Nov 2020.
- Full list of consortium partners
- Communication text for dissemination (in English and Russian)
- Promotional image for dissemination in ENG, RUS (with new deadline for 13 November 2020)